Wednesday, August 20, 2008

From One Olympic Junkie to Another

I must say I have not gotten my beauty sleep in days! I have been watching Olympics since my grandparents bought their first television, which was, I think when I was ten years old. That is forty-two years of Olympics every other year so that would make it 21 years of watching the stuff. I only see three medals so far for Finland in these Olympic Games, but Finnish people excel more in the winter sports like hockey and ski jumping etc. It is so fun to "feel" the spirit of these athletes and recognize how many hours of HARD work they have done to get where they are. My little five # weights seem a bit lighter now and my exercise routine in the mornings has gotten new wind! I will never be an Olympian but I sure have gotten inspired by the honorable performances of all the athletes, not only the Americans but those from countries I didn't even know existed, or know how to pronounce. I will miss the Olympics once they are done, but it gives us London to look forward to in another four years. And don’t forget the winter Olympics in two years and watch the Finns win a few!
My father was a great athlete. He was a gymnast for the Finnish team. I used to have a couple of pictures of him in his gymnast uniform and if I can find them I will scan and post those. I believe that our heritage has given us something special to be proud of - my father a gymnast, my mother a writer, my grandfather an artist, my aunt a painter… Some days I wonder where all that talent went to, but as I look at you, kids, I realize you have it all and more. You all have great talents of art, music, athletics, inspiration and heart. And the latter is what matters the most in the scheme of things. Every athletic or artistic performance will not amount to much unless you have shared your heart and soul with it. The passion to do what we love is what makes our lives meaningful.
On the wall next to the front door I have a saying “If anything is worth doing, do it with all your heart”. I look at it every day as I leave the house. Unfortunately it gets forgotten at times when I have to do things I don’t like doing, but usually I get through my days with a good attitude and grateful heart because I don’t have to look very far to see how fortunate and blessed I am. As I come home through the same door, I glance at the little saying and smile thinking “I made it through another day. Thanks for the reminder!”
So the Olympics are going to be over in a few days but the memories and the inspiration will be on my mind for a long time. I am not a world class athlete and I will never be in the Olympics but I can be the best at whatever I am doing in the moment.

No comments: